Friday, July 28, 2006

Deer on the Trail

I often walk on the mountain trails where I live. It seems that my spirit is a bit clearer, more receptive to God, when I do so. As I neared the end of my two mile walk yesterday, I reached the top of a long climb. Waiting on the other side of the hill was a beautiful deer. She was as surprised as I was. I think we both had the "deer in the headlights" expression. I've walked this mountain for years and never come across a deer before. There was a beautiful moment of silence between us. She was unafraid and serene. I took a few slow steps toward her, but she remained unmoved. Another few steps and I saw her tire of me. She bounded up the hill a few yards and stopped to witness my passing. I greeted her and told her how beautiful she was. She knew. It started to sprinkle, so I quickened my pace and finished my walk. God tucked away this unexpected encounter that I never would have experienced had I not taken the time to go on a solitary walk with him.
www.committedtofreedom.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home