Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Feeding the Wrong Creature


I have a black and white cat who has banished himself to become an outside cat. I guess he thinks there is more to do outside than inside. He just gets cranky inside. Anyway, I put food and water out for him each day. I have become alarmed over the sudden increase in the quantity of food he was going through. It seemed his intake doubled almost overnight. Not only that, but his water bowl was filled with cloudy water, chunks of food, and debris. Every day, I would put more and more food out, wash out the water bowl and fill it with fresh water, and the next morning, the same thing! It wasn't until a friend was recently house sitting for me that I understood. He pointed out that based on the dirty water bowl, it looked like raccoons were eating my cat's food and then washing their paws. I suddenly realized I was feeding the wrong creature! In my own spiritual life, I need to be careful to feed the right "creature" or I could end up wasting a lot of time, energy, and relationships. I want to feed that part of me that reflects the teachings of Christ - love, peace, tolerance, respect, and the sacred. The "creature" I want to starve is the angry, chaotic, rigid, and shallow person that I become when I neglect my spirit.
http://committedtofreedom.org

1 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Julie of Maryland said...

How true and perceptive!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home