Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Community

I've never been particularly fond of exercise, but have tried to discipline myself to walk or bike ride or swim on a fairly regular basis. I've done it because it's good for me. I've done it because I was supposed to in order to be healthy. I've never done it because I love to exercise! In other words, I seriously lack motivation. There are many reasons for this that I won't go into right now, but most of them are legitimate. Several weeks ago, I began walking with two other people. They are very independent thinkers and completely out of the box. This translates into lively conversation as we share books, articles, ideas, and life circumstances with each other. Before you know it, we've walked a brisk three miles. That's the value of community. When we tackle difficult issues in our lives, do things we know we need to do but don't want to, it is easier when we don't go it alone. It makes the journey more complicated in many ways - we are different ages with different abilities so we must accommodate each other - but it makes the journey do-able.
www.committedtofreedom.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home