Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dreams

When I first began my recovery from childhood abuse, I was plagued with horrible dreams. Through the years, those nightmares have diminished and it can be months between having them. Last night, I had two terrifying dreams that jolted me awake and kept me that way for about an hour each. I've learned that when these happen, I need to use the same tools I use when I'm awake. I start talking to myself - where am I? I'm in my room. Was that real or not? No, it was a bad dream. What was the theme of the dream? Being chased by someone/something and not being able to get away. What's going on in my life right now? I've got a lot of deadlines and projects that all need to be completed at once. Oh - now I get it. Then, I do what I always do. I pray. I pray for peace, I pray for sleep, I pray for perspective, and I pray for comfort. I have my prayer beads that I can hold in the dark. I sometimes turn on the light, I sometimes don't. The dreams aren't as frequent as they used to be. I have tools that I can use when I do have a nightmare. I look at that reality and know I've made a lot of progress.
www.committedtofreedom.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home