Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Brooklyn Tabernacle

I returned from NYC last night after a wonderful weekend with Brooklyn Tabernacle. I taught a portion of the Pastoral Care Seminar for their staff on Friday, just as the snow storm hit! It was a doozy of a storm too! After the seminar, I went with some friends into Manhattan and participated in a prayer vigil for peace. In the snow storm, we walked over a mile from church to church gathering people (sturdy people!!) for a time of prayer. It was supposed to be a candle light prayer walk, but there was NO WAY a candle flame could survive the wind. Coming back from Manhattan to Brooklyn near midnight, it was absolutely beautiful. There was no traffic and the snow seemed to envelop the city in a silence and tranquility.

On Sunday, I spoke at the 3:30 service and shared my story of childhood sexual abuse and where faith fits in. There were thousands of people there. The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir sang a song I requested, "This is How It Feels To Be Free!" It was very, very meaningful to me. At the conclusion of my message, many, many people came forward for prayer. Then, a huge line formed of people who wanted to talk to me. As is true any time I teach or speak, I became profoundly aware of the privilege I have been given to be a point of contact for men and women who have similar experiences with Christ. My shoulders were soaked with tears and covered with make up. I heard story after story of abuse and pain. I also heard the sound of people connecting that pain to Christ's freedom and love.

Pastor Cymbala and his staff were gracious, kind hosts to me. I am grateful for the opportunity to share the journey beyond abuse with both the staff and the congregation. He invited me to come back in the near future to give further teaching on abuse recovery and the spiritual journey to wholeness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home