Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Power Outage

Last night, we received a lot of wind and rain - actually more wind than rain. I heard a huge explosion and the neighborhood went dark. A transformer's breaker broke (non-technical explanation). I sat outside as the sun slipped out of sight. Mosquitoes swarmed me in the still, dark air. I was once again reminded of the tremendous suffering and stark existence that so many people endure on this spinning planet. I knew we would have power soon, and sure enough, the trucks arrived and re-set the breaker and POOF!! there was light. Light, air conditioning, television, microwave and I could only think about my brothers and sisters sitting in the dark, fearing for their lives, wondering if they would make it through another night. I am not thankful for what I have as much as I am saddened for what they don't have. Stewardship of what I am the recipient of comes to mind now and I feel a deep sense of responsibility to do something kind and just.
http://www.committedtofreedom.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home